Never watch another commercial!
Advantages of Automatic Commercial Skipping
- Save time - The average hour long show has 17 minutes of commercials.
- Save energy - No need to reach for the remote control when commercials come on.
- Peace and quiet - Those super loud commercials get skipped before they have a chance to wake up the entire family.
- Christmas is cheaper - You won't hear "Daddy, I want THAT!" while your youngest child is watching cartoons.
Disadvantages of Automatic Commercial Skipping
- The Super Bowl isn't as interesting.
- Umm... that's all I can think of.
How does it work?
- ShowAnalyzer basically "watches" the show for you, only really, really fast.
- While it is watching the show it tries to divide the recording into blocks.
- Later it uses characteristics of those blocks to try to determine which blocks are commercials and which blocks are part of the show.
How do I get it working?
The end goal of automatic commercial skipping is achieved via a 3 step process:
- Something notices that a show exists that doesn't have any commercial location data and runs ShowAnalyzer against that show.
- ShowAnalyzer processes the show and creates files that identify the location of the commercials.
- The data is then available for use by whatever program you use to watch or edit the show.
What is the SchoolHouse?
The truth is that accurately detecting commercials is hard and the networks are constantly trying to make it harder. The SchoolHouse was written to make fine tuning the results easier
and much, much faster. Before the SchoolHouse was around, tuning was a long and painful process. Now, it is an easy and quick process.